The goal of the Asia Multilingual Education Working group (MLE WG) is to remove barriers of access to quality education for ethnolinguistic communities through coordination of technical and substantive support to multilingual education initiatives and related policy advocacy throughout the Asia region. For more information about the group, contact Kyungah (Kristy) Bang.
The Asia MLE WG has established three Priority Areas of Focus for 2010 and following:
- MLE Assessment Framework
- MLE Mapping & Gap Analysis
- Language and the Millenium Development Goals Conference
Plans are moving ahead for the March 2012 workshop on bridging between languages in MTB multilingual education. This workshop, part of a series on planning for strong and sustainable mother tongue-based multilingual education (MTB MLE) programs, will focus on language education. For full details, download the attachment below.
Since 2003, the Asia MLE WG has sponsored three important international conferences in Bangkok, Thailand dealing with multilingual education These were:
- Language, Education and the Millennium Development Goals on November 9-11, 2010,
- International Conference on Language Development, Language Revitalization, and Multilingual Education in Ethnolinguisitc communities on July 1-3, 2008, and
- Conference on Language Development, Language Revitalization and Multilingual Education in Minority Communities in Asia on November 6-8, 2003